Wednesday, August 12, 2009

HELLO! from Kitui!!!!

One week later, here we are! "sasa!" (or "hey!" to which you would respond "fit!" or "hey!") so, hello! this is Maddy! hi to all, and if i don't know you, im Maddy Dickinson! its nice to meet you! :D (<- that is a smiley face for all you non-techie people out there... :D)

so it is wednesday! we have been here one week so far! though, we do so much in a day, that it feels like we've been here for a month! today we had our last kids program. it was a blast. we sang many songs, that we will teach you when we get back, such as "I Have a Father Who Will Never, Never Fail Me" and an all time favorite"Jesus is a Winner". Our time also consisted of two great skits, "David and Goliath" and "Feeding the 5,000". The kids especially loved "Goliath" who happened to be Tim standing on a chair with a huge "robe" on with shoes under the "robe, making it seem that Tim was much taller than he is. We also made and gave Playdo to the kids, and we were all very creative in our playdo sculptures. Christian made a fake nose, to represent Penochio, but the little kids seemed scared. :D

After our wonderful time with the kids, we were shown around the neighborhood. We got to see how building bricks were made, and made some of our own. We were shown the orchards, and many strange and wonderful plants. We were also introduced to a new fruit, called "Mal----" (I forgot the name... :D), but it was very sweet, yellow, and delicious. We were shown hemp purses and jewlrey made by the local women. They were very wel made, and there were all kinds of beaded stuff, including belts and ties. They were very unique and certainly awesome.

During my time in Kitui, I have made so many friends, we all have! Everywhere we go, we have new people stop and stare at us, and the really brave ones come and as our names, and they quickly become our friends. When we went to the churches and high schools, especially , we made friends. Like when I first walked in to the high school, one girl walked streight up to me, to my hand and said, "Come!", and we just walked into her class and I met about twenty new friends!

The friends I have met here, are unique, perhaps even to Kitui. They are such nice and welcoming people. They are internally and externally happy and are always excited to greet us. They are so friendly, and unforgetable (and alot of them have Facebook! so I can keep in contact with them!). The people I have met, they treat me as their very best friend, even though, i had only talked to the from twenty minutes! It seems that every person I talk to, tells me or asks me about goals for the future. They have such hope and faith. It takes much courage to dream from the poverty of their situation, yet they dream.

Well, I think it's time for me to sign off. So, until next time, and Maddy, and i'll see ya soon! :D

1 comment: